Birth certificates are one of the fundamental forms of identification in the U.S. If you were born in New York, you may need to get a replacement for any number of major life events. Marriage licenses, school applications, passport forms and a number of other state-issued certificates require a valid birth certificate as part of the vetting process. So, if you need a birth certificate NYC, then you need to know the basic methods for acquiring a new copy. Ultimately, there are two different methods, and even those can vary by a few factors. So, here is the total process, simplified to the extent that it can be.
When getting an authorized birth certificate NYC, you first need to determine where the applicant was born. The instructions for those born in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens or Staten Island are different for those born anywhere else in the state. You can use the following instructions to apply.
Applicants Born In NYC
- Fill out the online PDF. It can be found at http://www1.nyc.gov.
- Get a copy of a valid photo ID. The most common acceptable IDs include a driver’s license, IDNYC municipal ID, passport, employment card or military ID
- Mail the completed PDF form, photocopy of the valid ID and the $15 fee to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
Applicants Born Outside NYC
- Fill out the online PDF form. Please note that it is different from the NYC application and can be found at https://www.health.ny.gov.
- Make a copy of a valid ID. For applicants outside of NYC, the list of accepted IDs is shorter and only includes driver’s license, state ID, military ID or a passport.
- Mail the form, copy of ID and $30 application fee to the New York State Department of Health.
As you can see, there are plenty of obstacles to gaining a birth certificate NYC through traditional methods. Not least of those hurdles is the slow turnaround time. Snail mail applications can take up to several weeks to process. Fortunately, the state of New York is among a select few that have worked with external agencies to make the process easier and more acceptable. There is now an entirely onlineprocess that can be completed in a few minutes. You will still need to be able to provide a copy of a valid ID, but the overall means of application is streamlined and cuts significant time off of the wait for your new birth certificate.